Hey there, fellow food enthusiasts! Today, I’m excited to share with you my take on a classic recipe that combines the flavors of coconut and fried rice.
This coconut fried rice is a delightful tropical twist on the traditional dish, adding a touch of sweetness and a burst of aromatic flavors. So, let’s dive into this mouthwatering recipe and get cooking!
How To Make Coconut Fried Rice Recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Large skillet or wok
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Bowl for soaking rice
For The Rice
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
For The Coconut Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional for added umami flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Rinse The Rice
Place the rice in a bowl and cover it with water. Swirl the rice with your hand and discard the cloudy water. Repeat this process 2-3 times until the water runs clear. Drain the rice well.
Cook The Rice
In a large pot, combine the rinsed rice and water. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the rice simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed. Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and set it aside.
Prepare The Vegetables
Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and saute for about 2 minutes until they become fragrant and slightly softened.
Add The Vegetables
Add the diced red bell pepper, carrot, peas, and sliced green onions to the skillet. Stir-fry the vegetables for about 3-4 minutes until they are tender yet still crisp.
Incorporate The Rice
Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet, creating a space for the rice. Add the cooked rice to the skillet and mix it with the vegetables.
Season The Rice
Sprinkle the shredded coconut, soy sauce, fish sauce (if using), curry powder, and turmeric powder over the rice and vegetables.
Stir everything together, ensuring that the rice is evenly coated with the flavoursome seasonings. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes to allow the flavours to meld.
Adjust The Seasoning
Taste the coconut fried rice and season with salt and pepper according to your preference. Remember, a little seasoning can go a long way, so start with a small amount and add more if needed.
Serve And Garnish
Once the coconut fried rice is ready, transfer it to a serving dish. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for an extra pop of colour and flavour.
Nutrition Fact of Coconut Fried Rice Recipe
- Calories: 340
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 850mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 8g
7 Amazing Serving Ideas For Coconut Fried Rice Recipe
1. This coconut fried rice pairs beautifully with grilled shrimp, chicken, or tofu for a complete meal.
2. For an extra burst of freshness, squeeze some lime juice over the rice just before serving.
3. Serve the coconut fried rice alongside a vibrant tropical salad for a refreshing and balanced meal.
4. Enjoy the vegetarian fried rice with coconut milk as a satisfying and flavourful meal on its own. You can add some extra protein such as tofu, temper, or edamame to make it more substantial.
5. Serve the fried rice alongside a colorful medley of stir-fried vegetables like bok choy, snow peas, mushrooms, and bean sprouts. The combination of rice and vegetables will create a balanced and nutritious meal.
6. If you prefer a heartier meal, consider adding a protein source to the fried rice. Marinated and stir-fried tofu, tempeh, or cooked chickpeas can be excellent additions, providing additional texture and protein content.
7. Serve with condiments: Offer condiments like soy sauce, sriracha, sweet chili sauce, or lime wedges on the side, allowing your guests to personalize the flavors according to their preferences.
Tips And Variations
If you prefer a spicier kick, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a chopped chili pepper during the vegetable sautéing step.
Customize your coconut fried rice by adding other vegetables like corn, broccoli, or water chestnuts. Get creative.
Feel free to substitute the long-grain rice with brown rice or jasmine rice for a nuttier or more fragrant flavor profile.
To make it a complete one-pot meal, stir in cooked shrimp, chicken, or scrambled eggs for added protein.
Health Benefits Of Coconut Fried Rice Recipe
Coconut fried rice is packed with essential nutrients, including dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Coconut oil used in this recipe contains medium-chain fatty acids that are easily metabolized and provide a quick source of energy.
The combination of vegetables adds vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, promoting overall well-being.
Is Coconut Rice Healthy Or Not?
Coconut rice can be a healthy option when prepared with nutritious ingredients and consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Coconut itself is a good source of healthy fats, fibre, vitamins, and minerals. However, it is also high in calories, so portion control is important.
Adding vegetables, lean proteins, and herbs can further enhance the nutritional value. Keep in mind that coconut milk, often used to make coconut rice, is high in saturated fats.
While some saturated fats can be part of a healthy diet, it’s still important to consume them in moderation. You can reduce the fat content by using light coconut milk or mixing it with a lower-fat liquid, such as water or broth.
In summary, coconut rice can be a healthy choice when prepared with wholesome ingredients, including whole grains, vegetables, and lean proteins. Be mindful of portion sizes and the overall balance of your meals to ensure a well-rounded diet.
What Makes Chinese Fried Rice Taste Good?
Chinese fried rice is known for its delicious flavour, and several factors contribute to its taste. Here are some key elements that make Chinese fried rice taste good:
Soy sauce is a staple ingredient in Chinese cuisine and adds a savoury Mamie flavour to fried rice. It provides a rich and salty taste that enhances the overall dish.
Sesame oil is another essential ingredient that adds a distinct nutty flavor to Chinese fried rice. It is typically used as a finishing touch to drizzle over the cooked rice, giving it a delightful aroma and taste.
Garlic And Ginger
Garlic and ginger are commonly used in Chinese cooking to add depth and aromatic notes to dishes. They bring a savoy and slightly spicy taste to fried rice, enhancing its overall flavour profile.
Scrambled eggs are often included in Chinese fried rice, providing a silky texture and a hint of richness.
Vegetables And Proteins
Adding vegetables such as carrots, peas, and bell peppers, and proteins like diced chicken, shrimp, or tofu can enhance the flavour and texture of fried rice.
The texture of the rice used in Chinese fried rice is crucial. It should be slightly dry and separate, as this allows the flavours of the other ingredients to coat each grain evenly.
Traditional Chinese fried rice is cooked in a wok over high heat. This method ensures that the ingredients are quickly stir-fried, resulting in a smoky and slightly charred flavour that enhances the overall taste.
Veg Fried Rice With Coconut Milk
- 2 cups cooked rice (preferably day-old rice)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (such as carrots, peas, bell peppers, corn, and broccoli)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro or green onions for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pan and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
3. Add the mixed vegetables to the pan and stir-fry for a few minutes until they are slightly tender.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder (if using), salt, and pepper.
5. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and pour the coconut milk mixture into the space. Let it simmer for a minute or two to heat through.
6. Add the cooked rice to the pan and mix it well with the vegetables and coconut milk sauce. Stir-fry for a few minutes until the rice is evenly coated and heated.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more soy sauce or salt if needed.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and garnish with fresh cilantro or green onions, if desired.
9. Serve the vegetarian fried rice with coconut milk hot as a main dish or as a side dish with your favorite Asian-inspired meal.
There you have it, my delightful coconut fried rice recipe! It’s a perfect fusion of flavors that will transport your taste buds to a tropical paradise.
Whether you’re enjoying it as a standalone dish or pairing it with your favorite protein, this coconut fried rice is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings and bring a touch of exotic flair to your table.
So, gather your ingredients and start cooking. I can’t wait for you to savour every flavourful bite!